28 Days of Beans

I am a food adventurer. I battle my weight too.

There's pretty much not many things I won't attempt to eat and that gets me in trouble. I'll go hunting for noodles and I'll daringly bake things. I work with food for a living and I play by cooking with friends.

But I'm off to do a vegan cleanse with my delightful friends from Vitality, Melissa and Stephanie.

Part of my past work life was as a vegetarian cook at a vegetarian restaurant. Vegan doesn't scare me and I LOVE beans. So I'm looking to cook a different bean dish every day for the duration of this cleanse. It's really 21 days with a week of weaning (this week), so 28 fantastic, fartastic bean recipes!

Monday I made Black Lentil Chili

BLACK LENTIL CHILI

1 cup little black French lentils
15 oz canned tomatoes
1 tsp. oil
2 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 clove garlic
1 T. chili powder
1 T. tomato powder
1 T. cumin
red pepper flakes
1/4 cup white wine
water
salt

Clean and pick the lentils. Bring to a boil. Change the water. Boil longer. Add tomatoes and juice.
In a skillet saute onions, carrots, celery in oil. Add garlic. Add the spices toss to coat everything. Add the wine and cook it down. Add some water and salt and simmer till everything is soft. Add to the lentils and cook as long as you can stand it. At least an hour.

This was my dinner on Monday and my lunch on Tuesday.

Now if I can actually post about what I'm making and eating daily that would be a major accomplishment. I would love to capture my recipes and my thinking. It's highly unlikely though.

Tuesday's dinner was tinned vegetarian refried black beans in corn enchiladas with a dark mole. With guacamole. See the recipes below.

I have always been gobsmacked by the verity of beans at the Mexican market and while there today (picking up the mole, corn tortillas, refrieds, etc.) I decided to buy a few different dried beans to adventure with. I will try to cook as many different beans as I can in the next 28 days.

Giant Limas are cooking right now for tomorrow.

GUACAMOLE

1 avocado
1 plum tomato, diced
1 lime, juiced
1 clove garlic
1 green onion, diced
6 cilantro bunches
kosher salt
olive oil

Squish this all together call it guacamole and dance a happy dance when it fills your mouth with joy.











Comments