Giant Roasted Lima Beans


We read A Bad Case of the Stripes by David Shannon often when Z used to have me read to her. "Camellia Cream loved lima beans. But she never ate them." It's a lovely story about expressing yourself and enjoying your differences...and it's about lima beans, who isn't going to love that book!

You know those giant dried lima beans? They are white and as big as your thumb? They are delicious.
Dried limas are to fresh limas as split peas are to green peas. They're the same thing, just pick at different times. Legumes get to dry on the plant, then are harvested.

Aside from lasting forever or nearly forever, they pack a nutritional punch!

I cooked up a bag with no real intention other than I'm gonna eat them. Then I sought out recipes. This  recipe from the Food Network got my attention.

But I went a different direction with my spices. Mostly because I don't have cayenne pepper in my house. What? I know! I do however have a Penzey's Spice blend called Arizona Dreaming.

I'm not the biggest user of blends because I'm a snot about that kind of thing, but it was in the pantry why not use it. Right?

GIANT ROASTED LIMA BEANS

3/4 cup dried beans, boiled until just soft
drained, rinsed, cooled and dried, about 2 cups cooked
1/4 c. olive oil
1 lime, juiced
kosher salt
Seasoning, any blend or straight up cayenne

Toss the beans in the the mixture, careful not to break them. Spread them out into a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake in 425 degree oven until brown.

Okay, so they haven't cooled, but they taste terrific right now, warm. I know I love them because they are so starchy, like little tater-tots in their own little skins.

So what's the best book you've read to a 5 year old lately?



Comments