Ham Glaze Because

I have recipes scribbled on paper and stuck to my fridge with magnets from my travels. I eventually put them away or write them up or throw them away.

I cleared the front of the fridge today and have a few recipes I don't want to lose. I thought I'd put them here partly to index them for later reference and partly to actually get some words on this blog. This glaze is very very good.

My family met up for Thanksgiving after the day for our big meal together so I made ham instead of the ubiquitous turkey. Yes, this recipe has been on the front of my fridge for 3/4 of a year. Don't judge.

5 pounds of cheap ham. One on a bone, not spiraled cut. Seriously the cheap ones.

1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon dry mustard
25 whole cloves, if you're being fancy

Preheat oven to 325. Place ham in a roasting pan. Score the skin in a diamond shape, poke a clove into each diamond. Cover the ham and bake 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark glaze with 1/3 of the mixture. Return the ham to the oven and bake 30 minutes. Glaze with half of what is left of the mixture. Return the meat to the oven for 30 minutes, glaze with all the remaining mixture. Bake 15 minutes, remove from oven and allow the ham to rest 15 minutes before serving.

Go enjoy a cocktail while the ham rests.

How do you get your recipes off the internet? I'm really not one to print them. I just jot the ingredients down on a scrap of paper. I've lost more than one good idea that way, but I can't seem to break the habit.


Comments