Peachy Peach Pie

Peachy Peach Pie
I'm not one to vacillate. 

I actually hate vacillating, even in a fan. I mean, blow one way or don't blow at all. It doesn't make me popular. I know that but you do know where I stand on pretty much everything. No one will call me wishy-washy, ever. When Divergent came out, the book, the movie, it was all the rage to figure out your faction. Everyone, with glee almost, told me I was Candor. Not one person vacillated about me. 

Peaches are vexing. They may very well be my favorite fruit. But I love strawberries and goodness knows I love an apple. Cooked plums can send me in a revery unparalleled and don't get me started on citrus. I've made lemon curd to give as gifts only to eat it up instead, because well, I wanted to. Or maybe I have a problem. I seem to be full of a little too much self-awareness for a recipe page. At anyrate, peaches are in season and I've given myself a tummy ache. 

I had to buy more. I was feeling too lazy to 'put them up' and I have a tiny freezer so freezing them really isn't really a solution. I decided to make  a giant deep dish pie. I have a place to share it tomorrow, so here's what I did.  

Peachy Peach Pie

Filling
10 peaches
juice of 1 lemon
0.75 cup sugar
0.75 cup flour, less if they are not juicy peaches
0.5 tsp. salt
0.25 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
1 tablespoon butter 

Crust
2.5 cups white flour
0.5 tsp. salt
0.5 cup Crisco (so what)
about 0.5 cup cold water

sugar for sprinkling on top

For the filling, peel the peaches by dropping them in boiling water for 1 minute then putting them in an ice water bath. Remove the pits and slice. Toss the peaches in the juice of the lemon. Add the sugar, flour, salt and nutmeg. Stir until the flour is absorbed in the moisture of the peaches. Set aside while you make and roll the crusts. 

For the crust, stir the salt into the flour. Cut in the shortening. Rub it together quickly and lightly so you don't heat the fat too much. Add water until it holds together when you take a pinch. Use as little water as possible. Make 2 balls of dough, one bigger than the other. The bigger one is the bottom crust. Roll it between two sheets of parchment, line the pie pan. 

Pour in the pie filling into the lined pan. Dot with butter. 

Roll the second dough ball. It doesn't need to be as big because it doesn't need to go up the sides of the pie pan. I made a lattice in the picture but a solid top is fine too. Cut holes to vent the pie if you make a solid top. I fold the excess dough under the lip of the crust and pinch it into a ridge I then flute. The hint to fluting is turn the pie not your hand as you go around the edge. 

Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 20 minutes on a parchment lined pan that's bigger than your pie pan, to capture any bubbling fruit. 

 




Comments