Flouentines

The Great British Bake Off or GBBO has captivated me and millions like me. In an effort to increase my skills and just really try my hand at the technical challenges I gave Mary Berry's Florentines a go. I think I would have gotten a passing grade.

They are crunchy and the chocolate didn't dribble through to the front of the cookie. As for flavor when I make my next Flouentines, and I will, I'll use s different blend of fruit. The candied citrus peel was a bit overpowering. Otherwise they are a powerfully good cookie to share.

Florentines as found here. Yes, metric. I have a scale now and I use metric when a recipe is written that way, which is so much easier than converting things.

50g butter
50g turbinado sugar
50g corn syrup
50g white flour
25g glace cherries
50g candied peel
25g almonds
25g walnuts
200g good chocolate

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 sheets with parchment.

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan bring the butter, sugar, and syrup until the butter is melted. Chop the cherries, peel and nuts finely, by hand. I think there's a risk that a processor will over chop the ingredients. Add the flour and chopped items to the sugar mixture.

Make 18 cookies, putting 6 each on a cookie sheet. Leave plenty of room for them to spread. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until they are lightly golden. Allow to cool on the pan.

You will temper the chocolate. Chop the chocolate and put half into a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmer water. Stir the chocolate and heat until it reaches 127F degrees.

Remove the bowl from heat and add the remaining half of the chocolate and stir continuously until it has cooled to 79F degrees.

Spread the chocolate on the bottom of the cookie then run a fork through the chocolate in a zigzag pattern before it sets.

Store in an airtight container.

What TV show has inspired you to get into the kitchen and give it a go? 

Comments

  1. Hehe it's funny because I had some delicious florentines baked by a chef called Juliet and they're known as Juliet's florentines. Are they destined to have a woman's name in front of them? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts here: