Hrapocusa aka Dol Torta

Walnut brittle on top
Daring Bakers Challenge in September was Hrapocusa, a cake from the City of
Dol, on the Island of Brac, on the Dalmatian coast in Croatia. I made it in October but at least I made it. :)

The recipe provide and the this from the Recipe Hunters were the same but the technique spelled out differently.

I did double the forum's recipe or single the Recipe Hunters' and filled a 10 inch pan and two small 4 inch spring form pans.

I left my walnuts whole on the top and while that was super craggy looking, it felt a little less than harmonious when trying to get a bite with some topping and some cake. I'll run a knife through the nuts and give them a rough chop next time.

Also I think a half recipe in an 10inch pan might make for a shorter cake but it would still make reasonable satisfying slices.

What's cool is that it has lemon, orange and cherry flavors. I like those three combined. Also the technique for the topping, browning sugar and nuts with egg whites in a skillet on top of the stove was one I've never done before. You then go on to top the almond cake with them and bake an additional 15 minutes. It was super interesting.
She's a pretty hefty cake. Many eggs, many nuts. 

This cake has no wheat flour so it's a good one for the gluten free crowd. And while I shouldn't be lazy and type the thing out myself, laziness is winning. I hope I put enough information here for me and you to find the recipe should we want to make it again.



Comments