Brownies. The Best. That is all.

I have many fewer cookbooks in my house than I did once upon a time. Don't misunderstand I still have shelves full of books that have been huge comfort to me. And I delight when I see a tome on South Asian Cuisine missing, only to find it next to my daughter's bed. Knowing that she's experiencing the culture and text all tucked away in her room gives me hope.

She's a picky eater, but if she'll open up to new things by an obtuse avenue, let it be a well written cook book. Like the ones found in my house. 

Anyway, earlier this summer I had reason to pack a picnic basket and I wanted to make brownies. I didn't have my computer handy so I referenced a brownie cookbook which I hadn't opened in 10 years. I read through a handful of recipes and landed on one in particular that looked like it would work.It was amazing My friend asked for the recipe. I had to take a picture of the cookbook page and text it to her. How funny is that? Below is my rendition which I'm pretty much in love with. It is frankly the best recipe for brownies I have used. 

Brownies
4 oz palm/coconut fat or butter
5.5 oz unsweetend baking chocolate 
4 eggs
2 cups turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour

Melt the fat and chocolate in a double boiler. The original recipe called for butter, but I was making mine for a dairy free friend. In a mixing bowl cream the eggs and sugar for a good long while. You can use granulated sugar if you don't have turbinado. Add vanilla and salt. Once the chocolate is melted allow it too cool slightly. Add to eggs and sugar. When well combined add flour. Mix for a 2 minutes, scrape the sides and mix a minute longer. 

Spray and parchment line a 9x9 inch pan. Pour in batter and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. A tester on the outside corner should come out fairly clean. A tester in the middle will be moist but not gooey. 

Cool and cut into 16 good sized pieces. These are tall brownies. No frosting is needed. 

So do you read cookbooks at bed time? Does it give you dreams of sugar plums? Does it make you hungry? I buy fewer cookbooks, but I still do buy them. How about you? What's the best book you've come across lately? 

Sorry there's no picture to go with this post. 


Comments