Cream = Happiness and Chocolate Cake

What do you do?

When you go to make something and don’t have enough of the right ingredients and you completely refuse to go the grocery one more time, what do you do?


I personally go to http://www.allrecipes.com/ and do a search with the ingredients on hand. What I had was ½ cup of light corn syrup and while I originally wanted to make marshmallows it would require a full cup.

It’s one thing to ask a neighbor for a cup a sugar

The probability of them having a half cup of corn syrup was pretty low. So I found a cake recipe and tweaked it. What’s cool is that it doesn’t have any leavening. I thought I'd do what I could in the microwave, mostly because I didn't want to clean the extra pot it would take to do a double boiler.

I must have case of lazy Sunday syndrome.

While at it, because I got all micro-wavy, which is so not my norm, I thought I’d to make ganache in there too. I am delighted it turned out. But how crazy it is that I actually have a half-pint of heavy cream in the refrigerator? I only buy it when I need it for something specific. I mean I always have chocolate, sugar, butter, flour and vanilla in the pantry. Doesn’t everyone? But cream? What a happy thing.

Funky Little Chocolate Cake
½ c. butter
½ c. light corn syrup
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
½ c. white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
½ c. mini chocolate chips


Microwave Ganache
½ c. heavy cream
3 T. butter
1 T. sugar
7 oz. semi sweet or dark chocolate chips or bits chopped fine

1 c. of crushed cookies or crispy rice cereal


____________________________________________________________________


Pre heat oven 350 degrees. Spray one 9 inch pan with cooking spray.

Microwave the butter and corn syrup in a 4 cup measure or something large enough that it won’t boil over. Make it super hot. Add the chips. Let sit a minute, stir until smooth. Cool a few minutes.


In a large bowl combine the sugar and eggs. Add the chocolate mixture, vanilla, flour and chips. Stir well, pour into pan and bake 30 minutes.


For ganache combine the cream, butter and sugar in a 4 cup measure. Get it super hot, make sure the sugar is dissolved. Add the chocolate, make sure it’s covered by the hot liquid. Let stand 3 minutes. Stir until smooth.

When the cake cooled and while the ganache is somewhat viscous (reheat gently if you must) add the cookies or cereal to the ganache. Pour over cake and spread.

What motivates you to get to the grocery store? Must you have a certain number of items on the lists or company coming over?

Comments

  1. I try and do a weekly shop but I often run out of things, especially if I have a spur of the moment recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts here: