Plum Cake

It is very lightly lavender in color, once you cut it.

My new favorite joke is, "Why did the grape ask the prune out? Because he couldn't get a date!"

I suppose canned plums are what you do with too many plums when you don't dry them out to become prunes.The cake is very much like banana bread with a moist, spongy texture and very flowery in flavor.

In my effort to economize and really be debt free in 5 years, I went to a new to me discount grocery. They had 30 ounce, giant cans of plums in syrup for 0.53 cents. That is so incredibly cheap! And I love plums though honestly I've never had a canned one.

I thought, how bad could it be? Do you know that most US states have fruit growers associations? Actually probably all the states do, but I don't want to make an absolute assertion. My inspiration came from Oregon, from this recipe to be exact, but I changed things. I wanted to make this a penny pinching as I could lus cinnamon is a no go for a colleague who will be tempted with my cake. So no nuts, margarine instead of butter, and the use of nutmeg and allspice were the changes. My stand mixer was in the basement so I used the food processor, because one should really be able to make a reasonable cake in food processor. The basement is my itty bitty kitchen's annex. Sometimes walking down the stairs is just too much effort on a weekday night.

I give you:

PLUM CAKE
1 cup sugar
0.25 teaspoon allspice
0.25 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup margarine (being thrifty here)
2 eggs
0.5 cup sour cream
1-30 ounce can plums in syrup, remove pits, drain.
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

350 degree oven.
In the bowl of a food processor combine sugar and margarine. Scrape sides 3 or so times. Blend until fluffy. Add the eggs and sour cream. Combine well. Add the plums and pulse a few times. Do not blend too much, they will get minced further with the remaining ingredients. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pulse until combined. Scrap sides and run 30 seconds.

Pour into well sprayed Bundt pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Once cooled invert on a cake plate and dust with powdered sugar.  The cake is very moist and doesn't need a glaze or frosting. That too is an economical choice. It saves time, calories, and ingredient costs. So yeah that!

I've just proof read this and it sounds like I'm cheap and lazy! I suppose we all have those days! What's your indication that maybe you could do a little more? 





Comments