Krumkake

Rolled Krumkake Cookies
I'm having a waffle cookie minute. In my looking around I came across a cookie called Krumkake. They are Norwegian in origin. Minnesota is the state most associated with the cookie which makes sense because you know, lots of Norwegian people immigrated to Minnesota.

But about the cookie. They are sweet and crunchy and traditionally rolled into a cone shape. Sadly, I didn't have a cone to roll them on but a cylinder dowel piece. So I made cylinder cookies. Actually, I didn't even have a krumkake waffle iron, but I was able to borrow one. The one I borrowed is a stove top iron, not electric (which they make). And using it was a whole new experience, too.

Stove top waffle iron. 
Krumkake are frequently filled with whipped cream, but I didn't do that because I'm more about the cookie.

It's easy to see how a krumkake cone cookie filled with whipped cream is very much like an ice-cream cone filled with ice-cream.

These are crunchy. melt in your mouth, pretty cookies.

Oh and cardamom. They are traditionally made with cardamom, which gives you another reason to use the cardamom in your pantry and a different flavor on your cookie plate. They will also give you a different shape. All pluses.
Roll while they are hot, just off the iron. 
Krumkake 

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1.5 cup flour
2 tablespoon cornstarch 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cardamom

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs, salt and milk. Add the remaining ingredients. Blend well.

The batter is very loose, but not runny. Put about an ounce of dough on the heated iron. Scrape the edges and flip the iron. Cook for about 30-40 seconds. Using a metal spatula remove the cookie from the iron and roll immediately. Let cool on the dowel while you make the next cookie. Continue until you  use all the batter.

Makes about 36 cookies. 

Comments