Kouign-amann

Apricot filled swirls and plain sugary crowns.

I want to admit here and now I make many baking mistakes. This one I crossed referenced two recipes and forgot the salt. It makes a difference not only in taste but structure. I also over proofed the pastry because I was in a rush. Shame on me. This is The Daring Kitchen's April challenge. 

Maybe another day I'll try these again. 

The basic recipe that will work is: 
300g/10 1/2 oz / 2 2/5 cups strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
5g / 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast OR 6.75g / 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
5g / 1 tsp salt
200ml / 6 3/4 fl oz / 4/5 cup warm water
25g / 1oz / 1 3/4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
250g / 9oz / 1 1/5 sticks / 1 cup + 1 1/2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, in a block
100g / 3 1/2 oz / scant 1/2 cup caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
Egg wash

Make a bread dough with the flour, yeast, salt, water and melted 1.75 tablespoon of butter. 

On the second rise laminate the buttering into the dough. (Yes, I'm assuming you know what that means, but generally because I'm talking to myself.) 

Turn the dough a total of three times. Resting an hour after each turn. 

On the final round sprinkle a ton of sugar on the dough, give it a turn and cut it. Don't let it rest with the sugar in the dough or it will seep and ruin and the lamination. 

Cut into squares, collect the corners and put the pastry into sprayed muffin tin. 

If you are making a swirl, spread a cup of apricot preserves over the dough, roll into spins, put those in a muffin tin. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle more sugar on top. Rise 30-90 minutes, until the pastry is ready for the oven. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from the pan while hot or they will stick. 




Comments